TX: 1st - 2nd Grade Humanities Teacher - BASIS Jack Lewis Jr. [24-25 SY]
BASIS Jack Lewis Jr. is seeking a Humanities Teacher to join our bright, passionate team for the 2024-2025 School Year!
We Are Nationally Ranked
BASIS Curriculum Schools have been consistently ranked among the best schools in the United States. It is a reflection of the quality of the BASIS Curriculum, dedication of our expert educators, and hard work of incredible students. Our schools offer students an education that prepares them according to the highest, most rigorous international standards.
Our teachers are part of one of the nation’s most collaborative and professional learning communities. All of our schools use the acclaimed BASIS Charter School Curriculum. At the same time, our teachers are given the autonomy and academic freedom to teach in the manner that suits them. They choose how best to create dynamic lessons that foster student enthusiasm for new ideas and high-level learning. They help guide students to reach their greatest potential while preparing them for the demands of higher education, a rewarding career, and global citizenship. BASIS Charter School teachers spend their time teaching engaged students and teaming up with fellow educators -- creating an intellectual, inspiring, supportive, and collegial school community.
Subject Expert Teachers (SETs) are able to focus their teaching on a specific subject rather than preparing lessons for several subjects every day. They work collaboratively with the Learning Expert Teachers (LETs) to cultivate a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and where intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary student outcomes. As a Subject Expert Teacher, your primary responsibility is to develop engaging, content-rich subject specific lesson plans aligned with BASIS curriculum standards.
HUMANITIES ONE COURSE DESCRIPTION:
In Humanities 1, students continue developing foundational reading comprehension and writing skills embedded within history content. Reading comprehension instruction emphasizes developing skills and vocabulary through content-rich texts. Writing instruction focuses on systematically developing students’ sentence-level skills and introducing outlining and paragraph writing at the class level. In addition, students review decoding and spelling skills learned in Literacy Enrichment 1.
HUMANITIES TWO COURSE DESCRIPTION:
In Humanities 2, students further develop their reading comprehension and writing skills. Reading comprehension instruction is embedded in history content with an emphasis on targeted discussions and vocabulary development. Writing instruction focuses on systematically developing students’ sentence and beginning paragraph skills, particularly through content-focused writing. In addition, students review decoding and spelling skills learned in Literacy Enrichment 2.
- Preparing and facilitating subject and grade specific lesson plans
- Providing subject instruction on a higher level than grade-standard in an interactive learning environment to achieve exceptional results for all students
- Implementing the BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students' education is internationally competitive
- Managing student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect, individuality, and respect in all students
- Participating in extracurricular programs, such as clubs and sports
- Substituting/ duty coverage as needed
- Occasionally represent BASIS Ed Texas at designated school wide community events outside of typical school hours
- Supervising individual students and/or groups of students
- Other duties as assigned
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Eligible for hire in Texas Public Schools
- Has deep knowledge of subject taught
- Ability to differentiate instruction
- Ability to create positive classroom community and build relationships with students
- Able to engage students in rigorous content and well-planned, well-paced lessons
- Has excitement, joy and passion for teaching kids and personal development/learning
- Open to feedback and continuous growth
- Has a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes mind set
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in English or related subject from an accredited college or university. Ability to obtain and maintain Department of Public Safety (DPS) clearance.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Preferred Education: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in English or related subject.
Preferred Experience: 2+ years teaching/education experience
Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Starting Teacher Salary is $43,000 and is negotiable dependent on education and experience. BASIS Ed offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.