BASIS is seeking a Reading Specialist for the 2022/23 school year!
BASIS Charter Schools offers an incredible opportunity to be deeply involved in an academic community that is dynamic, exciting and unpredictable. You’ll join others in a highly social, supportive and collaborative environment at a brand-new campus that opened in August 2021.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
The reading specialist supports, supplements, and extends classroom teaching, and works collaboratively to implement a quality reading program that is research-based and meets the needs of students
- Support teachers in analyzing and understanding the results of various assessment tools
- Plan and collaborate with K-4 teachers to design and implement engaging instruction that leads to reading fluency and comprehension all content areas.
- Attend weekly planning sessions with classroom teachers to Identify students in need of differentiated instruction. Suggest accommodations and appropriate lesson structures to support identified students needing intensive intervention
- Provides intervention support to ensure comprehension and fluency in K-5 classrooms
- Conduct, organize, and analyze on-going assessments of student performance using multiple assessment tools
- Model best teaching practices for teachers with the goal of developing their capacity to support, differentiation, and classroom accommodations
- Meet regularly with administration and other professionals to discuss student progress
- Attend parent-teacher conferences as needed
- A Bachelor's degree with a major (or 24+ credit hours) in the teaching subject, Advanced degree preferred.
- A valid fingerprint clearance and/or satisfactory applicable state background check.
- Must possess the required credentials to teach in your home country or state which may include a Bachelor's degree and documentation of passage of a state authorized subject test in the teaching.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience.
Preferred Qualifications: The reading specialist has specialized knowledge of assessment and diagnosis that is vital for developing, implementing, and evaluating the literacy program in general, and in designing instruction for individual students. Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred or a combination of subject matter undergraduate degree with a Master’s in Education. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children, not necessarily in the classroom, and be open to new ideas in teaching.
About BASIS.ed: The BASIS academic program is consistently ranked among the top 10 programs nationally and is competitive on an international scale. The mission of BASIS Schools is to provide an academically excellent and rigorous liberal arts college preparatory education to all Lower and Upper School students.
Benefits and Salary:
- Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience
- BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Employer paid medical and dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Ability to add dependents
- 401k with partial match that grows over time
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.