Exceptional Student Services Coordinator
BASIS Phoenix Central is seeking qualified candidates for an Exceptional Student Services Coordinator for the 2023/24 school year!
The role of the Exceptional Student Services Coordinator (ESS Coordinator) is to oversee all aspects of the Special Education (SPED) program at a school site, including programs under IDEA, Section 504, and EL such as identifying the need for, planning, and executing all standardized and child-specific testing for students suspected of or having a disability. ESS Coordinators ensure that school special education practices are aligned with all pertinent regulations and laws, maintain open communication channels with all parties involved, and provide school-site training. The ESS Coordinator may also work directly with students to identify and fulfill needed educational services and supports as part of a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in special education or related subject matter (or 24+ credit hours in applicable subject matter with other degree).
- Valid Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Fingerprint Clearance Card and/or satisfactory applicable state background check.
- Current Special Education certificate valid in relevant jurisdiction.
- 1 year in a role with related special education job duties.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Master’s degree in special education or related subject matter.
- CPI or TACT-2
- 2+ years with related special education job duties in a similar-sized school.
- IEP Pro (AZ), SED’s, (BA), EasyIEP (DC), special education system used by the school to manage, special education process and 504 process.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Comprehensively manage the student special education process including child find activities, the evaluation and identification process, the plan creation process, and the implementation and periodic review process under IDEA, EL, and Section 504
- Participate in the Student Support Team (SST) programs, as appropriate.
- Oversee day-to-day tasks of Special Education Teacher and Special Education/ESS Assistants
- Ensure specially designed instruction is consistent with individual student needs as articulated in the students’ Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Provide guidance and professional development to general education teachers on student accommodation implementation, IDEA, FAPE, Child Find obligations, the student referral process, etc.
- Identify and serve English Learners (EL)
- Ensure compliance with all State and Federal Special Education requirements and deadlines.
- Schedule and facilitate parent meetings of students on a plan (EL, 504, IEP) or students being referred for consideration of ESS programming.
- Maintain all ESS paperwork and files.
- In collaboration with appropriate school leaders, schedule and facilitate all hearing and vision screenings for current ESS students.
- Schedule and facilitate student plan reviews (504, IEP, EL)
- Execute and oversee all school/location-specific programs, testing, and requirements, e.g., English Learners (EL) programs, Arizona English Language Learner Assessment (AZELLA)
- Provide or oversee the provision of accommodations for state and district testing, as outlined in student accommodation plans.
- Maintain appropriate communication with Head of School
- Maintain regular, full, predictable attendance.
- Adapting and delivering specially designed instruction to eligible students with disabilities
- Work with students with disabilities in a small group setting or 1:1 setting.
- Interact directly with students to fulfill IEP requirements.
- Fulfill required provisions in student plans, including service minutes, by providing specially designed instruction and facilitating other supports and/or related services.
- Providing case management services for students with disabilities including plan/program development provision and compliance
- Supervise itinerant-related service providers.
- Coordinating and ensuring full state and federal compliance with all aspects of programming (identification, review, dismissal) for students with disabilities per the IDEA and Section 504
- Preparing and reporting accurate and timely data or internal and external regulatory purposes
- Supporting general education teachers and collaborating with administrators to ensure the availability of a FAPE to eligible students.
- Other duties as assigned.
Benefits and Salary:
- Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience.
- BASIS.ed offers a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Employer paid medical and dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Ability to add dependents
- 401k with partial match that grows over time
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding BASIS’ non-discrimination policies: Beverly Traver, Compliance and Equity Investigator, BASIS Educational Group, LLC., 7975 N. Hayden Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85258, (480) 289-2088.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Charter Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.