Director of School Safety and Security
Director of School Safety and Security
|Office:||BASIS.ed Scottsdale Office|
BASIS.ed is seeking a Director of School Safety and Security to join its team! We currently manage 27 tuition-free public charter schools across Arizona, Texas, Washington D.C and Louisiana that are consistently ranked among the best K-12 schools in the United States.
Primary Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Develops school system’s strategic plan for safety and security.
- Identifies necessity for plans (physical and behavioral), facilitates programs and initiatives of a prevention and intervention nature, which improve the safety and security of the school system.
- Develops policies, procedures, guidelines and training programs for improving the safety of students, staff and visitors to school facilities and extracurricular activities. Periodically assesses performance in conjunction with other school districts and provides feedback to administration.
- Distributes copies of school safety and emergency response plan to all school service emergency providers; these include but are not limited to: chemical storage areas, electrical and water line locations and shutoffs, gas line locations and shutoffs, door evacuation locations and numbering, fire suppression equipment locations, and any other safety related equipment used in the facilities.
- Supervises and evaluates contracted mobile security company.
- Serves as an advisor to the VP of Charter Schools, Chief and Executive Officers, and other school personnel in matters relating to providing a safe and orderly school environment and associated properties.
- Plans and coordinates systematic education and training programs to increase emergency awareness and preparedness among staff/students and teaches emergency response skills to core staff within the Charter School Network.
- Works closely with school administrators to assess and determine school safety/security needs.
- Serves as spokesperson for the Charter School Network regarding security issues to the news media, general public and others as required. Coordinates efforts between schools, law enforcement agencies, courts, public and private organizations, and the general public in development of initiatives designed to promote a safe school climate.
- Receives all reports of school crime relative to violations of school policy and criminal laws from school administrators and maintains statistics regarding this information. Develop procedures to mitigate the effects of said violations.
- Keeps abreast of technical, legislative, and professional trends and the developments affecting programs designed to promote safe schools. Establishes and maintains an active network of professional contacts.
- This is not an exhaustive list and may be assigned additional duties by management as required.
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in Law Enforcement, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, or a related field. Preferred: A Master’s degree or a Law degree.
- Requires eight years of progressively responsible experience within a large organization including responsibilities for implementing and overseeing safety and security activities.
- Requires valid driver’s license. This position will be traveling to our schools.
- Must possess strong collaborative leadership, communication, and strategic planning skills.
- Negotiates or exchanges ideas, information, and opinions with others to formulate policies and programs, or arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions, or solutions.
Skills & Abilities:
- Reads journals and manuals; composes specialized reports/analysis; speaks to large groups of coworkers and people outside the organization.
- Develops and implements long-range plans and programs to support the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Makes decisions with extremely serious impact - affects entire organization and affects other activities/organizations and the general public.
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Notice of Non-Discrimination: In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act and applicable state law, BASIS* does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, gender identity or expression, or any other classification protected by law in any of its business activities, including its educational programs and activities which comply fully with the requirements of state and federal law and Title IX.
*As used in this policy, the term "BASIS" refers to: BASIS Educational Group, LLC, BASIS Schools, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public School, Inc., BBR Schools, Inc., and all affiliated entities.