Join our Talent Community. You’re not applying to a specific position, but we may consider you for an opportunity that opens on a later date.Join our Talent Community
Associate General Counsel
Associate General Counsel
|Office:||BASIS Independent Schools Central Office - Scottsdale|
BASIS Independent Schools Central Office - Scottsdale is seeking qualified candidates for an Associate General Counsel!
Who we are...
The mission of BASIS Independent Schools is to redefine education by raising the levels of student learning to the highest international standards. Every BASIS Independent school provides a joyful learning community where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes. In just three years we have established five highly-regarded private schools (PK-12) in some of the world's most dynamic regions: New York City, Silicon Valley, and Northern Virginia, with more campuses opening in the coming years. BASIS Independent is building a team of talented, passionate, and hard-working professionals to ensure our students receive the best education in the world. Join us!
What you will do around here...
BASIS Independent Schools is seeking an Associate General Counsel to join our growing legal team. The successful candidate demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to work hard and do what it takes to support our schools and central office, and sound judgment in providing advice in a fast-paced environment. Prior professional experience in an in-house legal department, non-legal business role, or a school is desired.
In this critical role, you'll use your legal knowledge and practical instincts to provide guidance and oversight on issues escalated by school management, research and analyze applicable law to establish and maintain compliance requirements and best practices for school operations, and partner with Human Resources and outside counsel on compliant employment policies and responses to employee relations matters.
Your ability to adapt to and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment will constantly be tapped as you work with senior management in both our central office and at each school on mission critical assignments and balance evolving priorities. Your desire for ownership of your work and to make an impact will be satisfied as you address the broad needs of our schools with limited oversight by the General Counsel and enable school employees to effectively and efficiently provide the extraordinary education our students and parents expect. This unique role will both challenge and reward the committed attorney as he or she makes a direct impact on our schools' and the overall company's success and future growth.
This position reports to the General Counsel and will be assisted by the department's Paralegal. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
You can expect to...
- Support Our Schools
- Assess markets for expansion by researching and analyzing licensing requirements, state and local oversight, and other requirements governing private schools in new jurisdictions
- Manage the licensing process for new schools and partner with BASIS.ed, our curriculum provider, to ensure state curriculum and teacher requirements are met
- Support school enrollment teams by advising on appropriate practices and preparing annual enrollment materials (contracts, tuition information, and related documents)
- Provide legal advice and guide school leadership on day-to-day student issues including discrimination, behavior and discipline, student safety, incident reports, privacy, enrollment contracts, and more, as well as compliance with applicable local, state, and federal laws
- Review and revise the Student Handbook, related policies, and forms
- Train and audit school staff regarding applicable laws and company best practices, including reporting, enrollment regulations, school employee training, student records, and more
- Review and draft contracts, including facility vendors, extracurricular providers, and facility rentals
- Monitor and advise on proper use of trademarks by schools
- Manage any actual or threatened legal action
- Oversee any insurance claims related to schools
- Support Central Office Functions
- Lead the legal department's partnership with our HR team and outside counsel to ensure compliance with local employment laws across our growing number of jurisdictions and support HR in resolving employee relations matters
- Collaborate with HR and outside counsel to review and revise the Employee Handbook, related policies, and forms
- Partner with outside counsel on employee immigration matters
- Special projects, as assigned by General Counsel
To join our team, you must have...
- J.D. and licensed to practice law and in good standing
- 3-5 years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Ability to analyze statutes, regulations, and case law to quickly provide practical advice in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to independently make decisions balancing legal requirements and business needs, and to efficiently and effectively communicate with non-lawyers
- Excellent judgment
- Strong legal research skills
- Analytical thinker who is independent/self-starter
- Polished written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively build relationships with a variety of internal stakeholders and third-party professionals
- Strong organizational and planning skills including the ability to remain flexible amid shifting priorities
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce quality, on-time work products with limited oversight
- An entrepreneurial spirit and an energetic do-what-it-takes attitude
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and efficiently in a team environment
- Intermediate or better skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- A high level of professionalism, confidence, and integrity
We dream that you have...
Experience in employment law or school law
Prior professional experience in an in-house legal department, a non-legal business role, or a school
The Nitty Gritty...
Benefits and Salary: Pay for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Note: BASIS (collectively, BASIS.ed, BASIS Schools, Inc., BDC, A Public Charter School, Inc., BTX Schools, Inc., BASIS Independent Schools, LLC, BASIS Global LLC, and BASIS Educational Ventures, LLC), is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment are recruited, hired and assigned without discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status or any other classification protected by law. BASIS expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment.